Normal or bad?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreeaH

Hello everyone,

I am a chinchilla parrent since 1 month and a half to a boy baby chinchilla who is only 3 months.
I am writing here because two days ago I started to hear for the first time my poor chin sneezing.
I thought is because my mother in law has cleaned the floor with a little more detergent that I usualy put in the water (she is with us only for a week for the Holidays) but yesterday the baby sneezed again and today I heard him again.
I searched through the internet and I searched for eye or nose gunk and he doesn't have it, but now in his sleep is making some noises as he is crying or something like a very silent baby crying.(or a baby dog)
The only vet in this city is on holiday as I already called him, and I have no other vets in the area that knows at least something about chinchillas. (I am from Timisoara, Romania)
I also think that last night he wasn't very agitate as he ordinary is (usually all the toys are all around his cage) and also last evening he stayed in my arms a lot more than usualy and he also fell asleep at some point in my hand.. It's not the first time that he sleeps in my hands, but now he was more not lethargic, but he stayed there a lot...

Could it be normal? maybe he is just tired, or maybe he just sneezes like me (I sneeze everyday :)) a lot I would say and I am not alergic and not with flu)...

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. ( I really love my baby chin and I am almost crying while writing cause I don't want anything to happen to him)

You are describing some concerning symptoms. If it was only occasional sneezing, I wouldn't be concerned; however, you're talking about a change in behavior as well as the noises. Now, it could be that he's barking because your mom's a stranger, but it could also be a respiratory issue since there are other changes. Are there any towns nearby where you might get him checked by a vet? I know this is an awful time, with the holidays, so you may have to put in some drive time.

He is not barking, I think he made those little sounds because he was sleeping in my hand and I tried to slowly pet him and the sounds were like little kit squeeqs.
Anyway, I examined him today for all the signs that I have found in the Internet and he has none of the described but I still heard him sneeze today two times.
Can it be from Pine shavings? Maybe he has some allergy to it?

I have no vet opened not even at more than 100 km from me... I hope that is just from the shavings. I cleaned the cage now, and I will watch him closely. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

Thank you!

Back