New chin Mom

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PirateHorse

Hello from Missouri! I am so greatfull to have found your forum. You're combined vast knowledge of all things chinny has really been priceless. I briefly had a chinchilla when I was 13, but that experience was sadly not a good one and unfortunately was quite short lived. Back then we didn't own a computer and only had whatever books I could dig up in library to go on for care instruction. I had saved all my summer babysitting money to purchase a guinea pig, upon arrival to the local pet shop I encountered the cutest creature I had ever seen. She was a female standard they thought around 5. Needs works on taming they said, but happily took my $200 cash, so off we went. I loved her even though she frequently bit me and projectile urinated in my face. My brother would let her out of her cage when I was in school and would just leave her out. I had a cat living in my room at the time and this chin was a difficult catch. I could see she wasn't happy and I didn't have the knowledge or guidance to give her what she needed. After nailing my mother one too many times with the torpedo pee-pee, Mom said enough. So we took her back to the store after only a short month. To my great shagrine, but parents, what can you do?

I'm now 27 and in a much better state to see to the proper care of one of these beautiful animals. I was considering sugar gliders, but I have a disability that effects my heart that causes me to overheat very easily so we must keep our house pretty cold. Usually 65f in the summer and low 60's in the winter. Not a good environment for a suggie. But an excellent environment for a chin. After reading extensively about both (thanks in large part to you lovely people) I decided the chin would be an excellent pet and a much better fit.
I found a small time breeder that was reasonably close and yesterday became the very proud guardian of 2 males. Sterling is a 3month old white mosaic, the other Onyx, a 2 1/2 month oldmedium black ebony (I think that's right, still trying to get the color lingo down). They had been living together so are quite happy with each other.
Unfortunately something happened with my critter nation cage and it won't be arriving until Tuesday (found out after bringing them home, grrr). We do have a few small parrots and had a spare cage that is obviously very temporary.
I am very excited about my new buddies, and I once again thank you for your unbiased knowledge, it can be a difficult thing to come by these days :)

Back