Chin Eating Fur Slip ?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hotrodchinchilla

Hi Everyone,

I have had my chin a little over a year and I noticed that he looses hair from time to time, just playing around and bumping into things in the bathroom. I know this is his fur slip, and that it is normal. However, after I pull the little tufts off him he tries to eat them, and will completely consume them if I let him. He has no other signs of Fur Barbing or messing with the fur in the rest of his coat. My questions are...

Is this behavior normal?
Why does he eat the hair?
If he eats the hair will it pass through his system?
Should I stop him from eating this hair?

I'm not sure why he eats it, but I do know some chins do. It should hopefully pass, but chins can get hairballs so if possible try to prevent him from eating it. They don't have the ability to throw up, so the hair has to come out the other end. Keep an eye on him to make sure it passes, you likely wont see it but make sure he doesn't stop pooing. It generally takes about 12 hours for things to pass through the system but keep an eye on him for 24 hours to just be sure. If you notice him stop eating or pooping get him to the vet, he may need some meds from the vet to help things along.

Thank you for your help. I will watch him and make sure he isn't stopped up and prevent him from eating any other fluff.

Back