Paralysis of back legs

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachyhampsh

Please help!!

My little Dougal is 3 years old, 48 hours ago I went to feed him and noticed he was walking a little funny and dragging his left back leg behind him. His right legs also seems weak but he did seem to have a limited amount of ability to use this one, this apears to be reducing.

He is eating and drinking as normal, his personality is the same and he doesn’t seem to be aggressive or agitated in anyway with his legs. He’s still trying to get about without the use of his legs, but they are just dragging, it looks like he has complete loss of function now. His front legs are absolutely fine!

I have taken him to the vets who are unsure what is going on, they have suggested injury or neurological damage. They have prescribed nsaids and anti biotic incase it is an infection and nsaids if it’s swelling on the spine in the hope that his symptoms improve.

I’m just at a loss on what to do, I don’t want his quality of life to be poor and the vet has suggested trying this medication regime for 7 days and then review. I’ve removed his wheel, and tried to make his cage more accessible for him.

Please help?! Has anyone seen this before?! What was the outcome?! I think he is too old for WHS from what I’ve read and also the symptoms where so rapid, he was fine the night before!!

Similar problem with Stella :(

Did you ever get an answer on your question? How is Dougal doing?

My Stella is almost 5 yrs old and she has been having trouble walking. We took her to the vet and he said she does not look like she is in pain so it should just be a neurological issue with her age. He said to monitor her eating habits because that is an indicator that she would be in pain.

I have looked at making a walker for her. (a structure similar to what a baby gets put into when they first start walking) just something to hold her body up while she uses her feet to walk.

She didn't eat very well last night or the night before so I am calling my vet today to make sure that she isn't in pain now.

How is Dougal doing? Did you ever get an answer to this question? I am having a similar problem with my Stella.

Stella is 5 yrs old and we moved recently. She is pretty used to moving around because my boyfriend and I have moved apartments a few times since we adopted her. I noticed she was having trouble walking so we took her to our vet. He said that she doesn't show any signs of pain. He thinks it is a neurological issue that is happening because of her age.

We take her out and hold her while she walks around the room and that seems to help. (i am looking into making a walker for her. Similar to something parents use when toddlers are learning to walk. she really just needs something to hold her body up while she moves her legs freely)

Last night and the night before I noticed that Stella has not eaten as much as she usually does. I called my vet and I am waiting to see if he thinks we should bring her in again. He said to monitor her eating habits because that can be a sign that she is in pain.

Back