Chin who suffered a Heat Stroke

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angel

Ok guys, I kinda need your help on this one. I have a chinnie that I received who had a heat stroke at some point in his life. He can't jump, and is EXTREMELY wobbly on his feet. He is constantly falling over, and just doesn't move around right. He is the sweetest thing and stayed in my hoodie the other day as I was feeding all the animals. Never even moved.

My question is, he's healty, but I feel horrible for this guy. It's really painful to watch him walk around the cage, tho he doesn't seem to be in pain. Is there anything I could do to make him more comfortable? Or would it be better to put him down?

Does he seem to be happy, despite his problems? How old is he?

If he seems to enjoy life despite not being able to have a 'normal' life, I wouldn't put him down. However, if he just seems miserable, then I'd definitely consider euthanasia an option.

He seems ok.... But we all know how well chins can hide things. I will see if I can get a video of him walking around. It really is sad. He is just really shaky, takes about 3-5 steps and then falls over. He can kinda run, but he leans to one side when he does and normally shoots straight for a wall to help support him stand up. I honestly don't know how old he is. I wanna say he's maybe under 2.

Have you had a vet do an x ray and an exam? Some blood tests? Maybe there is something else wrong, something in his brain? I would not put him down until you know what exactly is going on and know that it cannot be fixed. Poor guy!

It's obviously neuro and he obviously needed a vet. Properly and promptly treated, neuro damage from heatstroke can be lessened or even prevented.

If he's happy, place him in an experienced pet home where he can be kept in a large, single level cage and given the love and attention he needs.

A pet owner would be happy to have a chin who doesn't seem to mind a cuddle. Unless you think he is miserable I think the right person could give him a loving home :).

A pet owner would be happy to have a chin who doesn't seem to mind a cuddle. Unless you think he is miserable I think the right person could give him a loving home :).
That's what I would suggest as well. Not sure how much damage has been done or how much can repaired but a vet visit would be a good idea. Poor little guy.

Most chinchillas who have heat strokes and survive fully recover. I agree with HM you may want to have it looked into further.

I should have mentioned this before, but I know that he has been this way for atleast 6 months before I got him. Any damage that was done, is already done. For now, it's just the decision between making him comfortable, or putting him down. I am really worried about adopting him out incase it doesn't work out. I am being extremely selective about adopting him out.

if he isn't suffering I wouldn't put him down if you think he is in pain then the best thing is to humainly end his suffering. He should be fine living out his life in a one level cage.

ok, Per the Vet: Damage is done. Since he is eating, poo'ing, and drinking, and there doesn't seem to be anything internally wrong, he prob isn't in pain. The vet seems to think MAYBE there was an inner ear infection at one point that wasn't taken care of. But again, if so, the damage was done long before he was picked up from his old home. The best thing is to make him as comfortable as possible. I am kinda afraid to pet him out. I just don't want him to go to a bad home. So, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with this guy. He seems fine where he is now. In a single one level cage.

That's too bad the damage is permanent but at least he isn't in pain. It's possible that a knowledgeable chinchilla owner in your area would like to adopt this special needs guy. PM me if you'd like me to help you find him a loving home.

For that kind of chin you have to be patient to find him a home. One day a person will come and you'll know he's the one and that he'll take care of him. There are some amazing people out there, so be patient and you'll definitely find a good home.

This just breaks my heart! Growing up I had a cat with the same problem, the result of a stroke. She was a total sweetheart, just not quite right, and needed to be handled a bit differently than your average cat. If I was closer to you I would take him in a heartbeat! I already have one rescue boy with special needs, I wouldn't mind another!

I agree with Hedgemom--give him to a loving pet only home with a single level cage. We sometimes feel horrible looking at someone with one limb missing or riding in a wheelchair, when, in fact, these people are very happy and healthy. I will keep my fingers crossed the perfect family comes along for him.

im so sorry to hear this...i hate hearing stories of previous neglectful owners where things like this could have been avoided...i hope he isnt in any pain and that he is happy with you...i wish you guys all the best...

I have a special little boy too. He has an amputated leg, and an amputated toe. Both from an accident and an infection. Very long story.He is the most amazing, strong willed, brave, and incredible animal I have ever come across. He's my world. love him to stitches. If I could, I would love to bring him into my family. There will be someone out there who would love him no matter what. Poor little guy. Best of luck with him.

Back