What type of Chinchilla food do you feed?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alli713

..has a fleece addiction
So, what type of food do your chins get?

I'm currently feeding PANR (Purina Advanced Nutrition Rabbit Pellets) since they are easy for me to get and pretty cheap.
For newbies, some rabbit pellets are acceptable for chins, so look through the list of feed and find the acceptable ones.

I carry Mazuri Chinchilla in my online store and used to feed it until I went through the 25 lb bags quickly. This is a type of feed you can find in petstores, but it might not be all that fresh.

I've also fed Tradition, but switched to the PANR when I couldn't find Tradition locally.

I feed mazuri. I tried a switch over to tradition once because I thought the mazuri may have been causing soft poo as it had in other chins, but Puddles didn't like it at all. So we stuck with the mazuri and it's been good! :)

I use PANR and LOVE it. Well, the chins do I mean! We have had significant weight gains in almost all of the chins, and have had higher birth weights as well. I used to be on Mazuri, then Tradition, now PANR. By far, PANR has been the best quality, cheapest, and most reliable for us.

I agree, some people say that Mazuri causes loose poo, but I never had an issue when Chibi and Mei were on it. Just with my 4 it became cheaper to feed the PANR. And all of them like it, so it works out.

We started out on Mazuri but when the feed stores started having issues getting it in we switched over to Manna Pro Sho and the boys have done so much better on it. They've put on more weight and eat more than they did before. We've been on the Manna Pro Sho for about a year now.

Mazuri pellets for the four boys here. I can get it locally for what I think is a reasonable price: $21.99 (CDN) for a 25 pound bag. The boys all are thriving with no known health issues.

When I lived in a different city and only had one chinchilla, I asked the local pet shop to bring in some 2.5 pound bags of Mazuri and they did it no problem. Just had to ask them to do so.

Pen Pals.. My guys have done very well on it thus far...Have been thinking about switching, but right now doing the "if it aint broke don't fix it" deal.

I feed a pellet diet that I and Pam (of AlderbrookChins) have milled locally on the island here. We recently got the name changed to Alderpark feed. It's a great diet. I switched off mazuri to this kind of diet some 6 years ago and have never looked back. It's very inexpensive for a 20 kg bag, and the chins love it. I noticed a huge difference in my chins within 3 months of switching. Weight gains anywhere from 150 grams or more. Even in the oldtimer chins I have. :p

i am in the process of switching over to PANR since Tradition is no longer available here. can't wait to stop having to mix...

I use to feed Mazuri but Max has smaller dark poos from it and he seemed a little skinny... so I switched to Oxbow and he's doing much better on it! I've had no problems at all.

I have used Mazuri for years, but my older girls are going to be 4 this summer, so I'm thinking I will switch them over to Oxbow, less protein...

Not to toot our own horn but the feed Serena and I have milled specially for us is amazing. Mine have gained a tremendous amount of weight on it as well.

Back