Concerning Outdoors

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hedgepig

Since the weather is almost to the breaking point of warming up, I figured that it's time for playtime outside!
But what are the concerns of outside?
-Can they get any type of infection/diesease/bug infestation?
-Could they crawl in the grass or would it be best for them to stay on bricks?
-What would be the ideal temperature of outside for them to play?
-What happens if they eat a bug?
-And what would be the best enclosure/fencing to keep them from running away?
Thank-yoU!

If you let your little one run around outside, it can be a great experience, but you will need to take some precautions.

1. Temperature. You will need to keep in mind that the ground's temperature is often much lower than the air temperature this time of year. Just because it gets over 70 outside, doesn't mean that the ground is very warm and that he won't get a chill from it. You will need to 'test' the grounds temperature and make your decision if it is warm enough.

2. Bugs: Wild bugs could be dangerous. If they have gotten into any pesticides, herbicides, etc, your little one could ingest a toxin. Also wild bugs many times carry internal parasites.

3. Running away: You can build an enclosure, but even if you do you will have to be with them at all times anyway. There are more dangers than just the hedgehog running away, there is always a chance of something coming along and taking the hedgehog (hawk, etc).

Outdoor time can be fun, but I have had hedgehogs that as soon as their feet touched grass they wouldn't move or did their best to crawl back up on you.

I start taking my hogs outside when the ground is actually warm and it's nice and sunny. Here in Canada, that gives me about a 2-month span that they can go out and play. If I can stand barefoot outside without getting chilly toes, it's generally warm enough for the hogs. If I have doubts about the ground being warm enough, I'll take them outside in their bag and let them sit on my lap. Sometimes, they seem to enjoy just smelling all the new smells much more than actually being on the ground.

When I feel it is nice enough to let them play, I always follow right behind them and keep an eye out for any possible predators. Cats, dogs, that annoying crow in the tree... if I see anything, the hog gets picked up and we go inside for a bit. I never take my eyes off them because, well, they run FAST.

I try to keep them from eating bugs and I only let them play in areas I KNOW don't use any form of pesticides. My front yard is a safe bet, since we (and our surrounding neighbors) don't use toxins.

My hogs seem to love it outside. Kismet likes to sit in the center of the yard, and just spin around in circles while smelling the air. Cuda runs all over the lawn, crosses the sidewalks, digs in dirt... he needs a bath after every outside adventure. Vette prefers to walk back and forth - pacing, almost. When they get tired of being outside, each of them comes to me and sits on my foot or tries to climb up my pant leg.

Have fun and be safe!

I tend to worry a bit about the sun. It can get really hot and bright so I still provide the usual hiding places (hedgie bag/hat) and some shade. Those buldgy eyes need some hedgie sunglasses!

Last summer, I let Litchi out for the first time (because I was at my parent's house, where I know the grass is ok). Since we have a no-pesticide law in my province, I don't worry much, but I kept a close eye on her to be sure she doesn't eat something she shouldn't. I brought her bag too in case she wants to hide. I only go out when it's at least 24-25C.

Those buldgy eyes need some hedgie sunglasses!
LOL!

I second everyones thoughts here. Though you should always watch your hedgie when they are outside, the best time to prepare for an injury is before they happen. In other words, do all you can to make sure your yard(assuming that's where your hedgie will be playing) is as safe as you can make it.

3. Running away: You can build an enclosure, but even if you do you will have to be with them at all times anyway. There are more dangers than just the hedgehog running away, there is always a chance of something coming along and taking the hedgehog (hawk, etc).

I would just like to draw attention to this point. Someone on my bearded dragon forum had their dragon, who was on a leash and everything, stolen by a hawk just yesterday. It was really horrible and I would hate to see anything like that happen to anyone's hedgie. So keep that in mind when setting up the outdoor play area. Some screening or something over the top would probably be a good idea.

I'm glad we don't have hawk in my area then. I honestly didn't belive it was really possible a haw just go grab an hedgie, more so if there's a human near.

Back