which cage would you choose?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

harlowquin

Hi one and all. I am new to this forum and to chins. I have been reading for about them for a month now. My first chin is due to arrive next weekend. I currently have a extra large bunny cage on wheels that we used in the past for a bunny. It is in excellent condition but after much reading I am thinking of purchasing a ferret nation or a large flight cage from ebay. I need help in deciding between the two. Here is a photo of the flight cage. The specs are:
Approximate Cage size:48"X20"X38"
I like how the cage can be divided into two sections. I like the size of the doors. I not sure however, about how high it is off the ground. It will be easier for me to clean, as I won't have to bend down but what about when I let my chin out for playtime. I worry about dropping her from that height? I like the shape of the cage. I will be getting another chin when funds allow it. I would like to have a buddy for my first one.
So which one and why, would you choose?

Attachments

• cage.jpg
    cage.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 48
I would choose the FN because it is tried and true, and people always love them. I have seen good and bad come off ebay, but the quality would be hard to match a FN. They both look nice though, although I think the FN is a better set up as well, since chins like high and it would take up less space. I would not worry that it is too high, you should hold the tail when picking her up to ensure you don't drop her, as even a small fall can be very bad.

While I am a huge fan of the FN, it is definitely not needed as a cage. I think the cage you showed a picture of would be more than fine as well. Chins, like any other prey animals like to be high off the ground, so that cage would be good for that. If you got a FN, and you planned on separating it into an upper and lower cage you would have a cage that was even higher off the ground (the top portion). I know some people have made a ramp for them to come down during playtime, or you can use a dust bath to transfer them until you are comfortable with picking them up (if you don't use a ramp). That would work for either of the two cages.

So, all in all, it really is which you prefer.

What are the measurements of the bunny cage you have now? I know some are about the size of a FN 141, so if that is the case it would be more than sufficient for one chin. My quarantine cage is actually a bunny cage and it works quite well. If it is large enough I would just use that until you find a fantastic used FN, or a great sale somewhere. I was able to get my FN 142 off craigslist for $80 and it was in perfect condition. I know of someone else who just got a FN 141 from craigslist for $25. The deals are definitely out there if you are patient.

There's also a cage called the Feisty Ferret that I use. It's just a tiny bit smaller than the ferret nation but very similar. I ordered mine from petsmart's website and got free shipping. Just an idea :)

Either one would work well. I personally love the FN. It's so easy to clean. It just needs a few modifications: Bass metal pans, wooden shelves, some fleece, and it's perfect for a chin.

So, all in all, it really is which you prefer.

I totally agree with her on that statement you choose what you think you would rather have yourself

But I do love the FN Myself as well!

If I didn't get my cage for free, I would have definitely purchased the FN. This is my cage, also an aviary, of which the doors are similar to the cage that you posted above.

Aviary.jpg

The most ANNOYING thing with this cage is the doors, which the FN's do not have a problem with. If you decide to put shelves or ledges or a fleece tube or hammock anywhere in the top section of the cage, you will regret getting it because it is awkard to try and clean anything high up without removing it completely from the cage! This is just my opinion. On the other hand, I do love the look of aviary's over the FN's but I've only had my chins for 6 months in them and I'm ready to throw in the towel with my cage and get an FN.

Usually, the bigger you can afford, the better.

Just be aware that the cage bar sizing is safe for chins. Also, make sure that the door closing mechanism is something you can easily open, but your chin cannot chew or pop open. Plastic pullout pans would have to be replaced with metal ones and plastic shelves will have to be replaced with wooden ones. If there's wire shelves, just make sure the spacing is chin-safe.

Some people on here use these little wooden ladders/steps so they chin can go down and up during their playtime safely, without the hassle of trying to pick up their chin.

There's also a cage called the Feisty Ferret that I use. It's just a tiny bit smaller than the ferret nation but very similar. I ordered mine from petsmart's website and got free shipping. Just an idea :)

I have a Feisty Ferret and a Ferret nation. While I like the Feisty Ferret well enough, One of my chins did break the wire in one part from jumping on his shelf (he is a plumper and it was a branch that only had one connection but...)

I guess what I'm saying is Feisty ferret is a decent cage, but if I were to buy another, I would save my money and go w/ FN.

Just my 2cents

Thanks to all who replied. I think I will be going with the ferret nation. I am looking at fleece pan liners now on ebay. I just love this site. It is so informative!!!

Back